As a Dermatology PA/NP, your responsibilities include examining and diagnosing skin-related health concerns, administering treatments, and monitoring patient progress under the supervision of a licensed Dermatologist. You also maintain patient records, collect samples, and order lab tests, as needed. Work is performed with considerable independence under the general medical direction of a licensed Dermatologist.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Practices general dermatology such as skin examinations, diagnosis and treatment of common skin conditions.
- Examines and assesses patients to determine the best course of treatment.
- Counsels patients on treatment options and long-term skin care.
- Performs appropriate biopsies to detect skin cancer or skin conditions.
- Consults with physicians regarding medical care of patients.
- Orders labs or diagnostic testing or refers patients to specialists when necessary.
- Prescribes suitable and appropriate medications to patients as necessary.
- Records patient’s health history in EPIC EMR.
- Educates, counsels, and assists patients and families regarding current health problems, health maintenance activities and preventive behaviors.
- Acquires information on the most current development and trends in the Physician Assistant field and/or Nurse Practitioner field, through educational programs, in-services, professional associates, and current literature.
- Provides direction for medical assistants.
- Adheres to OSHA safety protocols, HIPAA regulations, and confidentiality laws.
- Cultivates a climate of trust and compassion for the patients.
- Maintains license through ongoing CME.
- May be involved in staff training.
This list is not inclusive of all duties and responsibilities that may be assigned. They are only listed as typical. Any other duties and responsibilities assigned will be of a similar nature requiring the same relative skill and capabilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner (with or without accommodation). The individual must possess excellent communication skills, be self-motivated and organized. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) or Master’s in Physician Assistant Studies and current state license is required.
- Certification by ANCC, AANP, or NCCPA is required.
- Minimum three years of work experience in Dermatology is required. .
- Prior experience working in an independent capacity is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES – COMPETENCIES
- Solid knowledge of Clinical Dermatology, aesthetic services, and treatments.
- Advanced knowledge of the nurse practitioner guidelines, rules, regulations and policies of the health care facility.
- Strong customer service skills and exceptional bedside manner.
- Strong time management and ability to prioritize workload.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to function in a busy work environment.
- Collaborative skills to effectively work with team members including other physicians and medical assistants.
- Critical thinking skills and the ability to elicit information needed to make brief evaluation.
- Skill in using ERM to check patient history. Experience working with Epic is beneficial.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT
The nature of the job requires standing and sitting for periods of time. While performing the essential functions of the job, one may frequently bend/stoop, and occasionally squat, reach above shoulder, crouch, push/pull. Some lifting/carrying up to 25 lbs may be required. The use of hands for repetitive simple grasping, firm grasping is required. While performing the job, one will encounter close paperwork, use of computer monitor/equipment and visual monotony. Must utilize hearing for continuous conversations, equipment monitoring, telephone use, background noise and occasional transcription. Frequent stress may occur. The job requires continuous independent decision-making. Primary work environment is an office setting.
This job description does not create an employment contract and does not guarantee continued employment. Employment with Surgical Associates is at will. Either party may terminate employment at any time with or without cause.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job duties satisfactorily (with or without accommodation). Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions. Surgical Associates is an equal employment opportunity employer.Apply Online