Surgical Technologist or First Assistant: 2 years (Required)
CSFA or CST certification (Required)
Work authorization (Required)
Certified Surgical First Assistants / Certified Surgical Technologists are health care professionals who provide surgical care to the patients. First Assistants work under the direct supervision of surgeons to help the effective and safe conduct of intrusive surgical procedures. First Assistants possess proficiency in the theory as well as in the application of aseptic and sterile techniques. They combine the overall knowledge of surgical procedures, human anatomy, and implement technologies and tools to facilitate a health care professional’s performance of invasive diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Ensures that appropriate supplies, equipment and instrumentation are available, opened and functioning properly for each procedure.
2. Works as a team member with surgeons and nurses to provide safe and efficient care while focusing on limiting waste in the O.R.
3. Acts as First Assistant or Second Assistant and provides intraoperative skills during surgical procedures — holds retractors, ties off vessels and tissues, repairs incisions and lacerations, cuts and cauterizes tissues, etc., as needed and as directed for wide variety of surgical cases i.e., general, peripheral, vascular, trauma, etc.
4. Ensures appropriate test results, i.e. CT scans, MRI, Angiograms and X-rays are in the room and visible for surgeon.
5. Assumes responsibility for patient is positioning, prepping, and draping appropriately for procedures and to follow all safety and procedural guidelines.
6. Performs complex surgical techniques as needed and as directed by physician.
7. Maintains the highest standards of sterile technique during the operative procedure.
8. Ensures proper transport of patient to recovery area after completion of procedure.
9. Assists personnel in the clean up and turnover of room to facilitate start of next procedure.
10. Perform other projects/tasks as requested.
This list is not inclusive of all duties and responsibilities that may be assigned. They are only listed as typical. Any other duties and responsibilities assigned will be of a similar nature requiring the same relative skill and capabilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
· Associate or vocational degree from an accredited Surgical Technologist/Surgical Assistant Program is required.
· 2+ years of previous surgical technologist or first assist experience is required.
· Certification by NBSTSA (National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting) as either CST (Certified Surgical Technologist) and/or CFA (Certified First Assistant) is required.
· CSFA re-certification on a regular basis is required.
· CST re-certification on a regular basis is preferred.
· Certification/recertification may be required, specific to this role, per the organization.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES – COMPETENCIES
· Possesses knowledge of surgical and OR instruments, including their use, storage, care, and sterilization.
· Possesses knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
· Demonstrates knowledge of general and peripheral vascular procedures.
· Possesses critical thinking skills.
· Models a professional disposition and communication style.
· Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability to changes in nursing practices and responds in a positive manner to constructive criticism.
· Demonstrates a focus on patient care and communication skills.
· Possesses the ability to make independent decisions and work in a team environment.
· Possesses the ability to prioritize tasks and work effectively in a fast-paced setting.
· Demonstrates an understanding of safety-related work behaviors.
· Adherence to strict confidentiality standards and compliance as to scope of role, record keeping, PHI and HIPPA.
· Specific safety certification/recertification may be required per the organization.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT
The nature of the job requires standing and sitting for periods of time. While performing the essential functions of the job one may frequently bend/stoop, and occasionally twist, bend or squat, reach above shoulder, crouch, push/pull. Some lifting/carrying up to 35 lbs may be required. The use of hands for repetitive simple grasping, firm grasping is required. While performing the job, one may encounter close paperwork, use of computer monitor/equipment and visual monotony. Must utilize hearing for continuous conversations, equipment monitoring, telephone use and background noise Frequent stress may occur. The job requires continuous independent decision-making.
May require working beyond normal business hours — evenings, weekends, holidays, and on-call.
This job description is not a guarantee of employment. It is understood that employment is “at will,” and the employer or the employee may terminate employment at any time.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job duties satisfactorily (with or without accommodation). Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Wausau, WI 54401: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Associate (Required)
- Surgical Technologist or First Assistant: 2 years (Required)
- CSFA or CST certification (Required)
Work Location: One location