The Triage RN is responsible for providing triage services to vascular and general (as needed) surgery patients to identify patients with high-risk conditions and ensure quality outcomes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Provides patients with health assessments, treatment solutions, and follow-up instructions.
2. Creates, implements, and monitors care plans in collaboration with other care teams.
3. Communicates directly to patients via telephone or other electronic communication devices and directs them to appropriate medical care – emergency, urgent care, or physician office visit.
4. Performs assessments and short evaluations of the patient situation to estimate severity of illness and/or injury, including learning about chief complaint and obtaining vital signs and mental status information when possible.
5. Determines urgency of seeing the patient based on brief assessment and on familiarity with a patient’s condition and history. Confers with physician as needed.
6. Refers patients with high-risk chief complaints such as chest pain or abdominal pain to ER for evaluation. Provides appropriate home health advice to those patients who do not need to go directly to the ER.
7. Sets up appointment for patients who do not need to ER but need to see a physician or arranges for an appointment scheduler to make the appointment.
8. Acts in “Ask a Nurse” capacity, handling routine information requests from patients.
9. Manages prescription refills.
10. Answer calls from patients, clinics, providers, departments, etc. and manages various aspects of patient care.
11. Accurately documents symptoms, concerns, the nursing assessment and advice provided and the patient responses with the medical record (Epic).
12. Obtains appropriate input and direction from providers as needed to determine best clinical course of action.
13. Monitors electronic in basket and responds timely and appropriately.
14. Completes referrals (i.e. home health) as needed.
15. Precepts new team members as needed.
16. Supports Vascular Clinic floor (local or outreach) as needed.
17. Perform other projects/tasks as requested.
This list is not inclusive of all duties and responsibilities that may be assigned. They are only listed as typical. Any other duties and responsibilities assigned will be of a similar nature requiring the same relative skill and capabilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree in Nursing is preferred.
· Minimum of an Associate’s degree in Nursing is required.
· Current RN state license is required.
· 5+ years of experience as RN is required.
· BLS certification is required.
· Previous triage experience is preferred. Previous wound care management is preferred.
· Experience working with Epic software is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES – COMPETENCIES
· Possesses skills with technology.
· Possesses knowledge of basic nursing performance standards as outlined in the Wisconsin Nurse Practice Act and functions within the scope of the legal guidelines.
· Demonstrates compassion and focuses on quality patient care.
· Possesses knowledge of patient care charts and history (preferably charting in Epic).
· Possesses strong organizational, communication, and problem-solving skills.
· Models a professional disposition and communication style.
· Must possess initiative and ability to work independently.
· Adherence to strict confidentiality standards and compliance as to scope of role, record keeping, PHI and HIPPA.
· Demonstrates the ability to make triage decisions based on brief patient assessment.
· Possesses the ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
· Demonstrates the ability to work under pressure and with constant interruptions.
· Specific safety certification/recertification may be required per the organization.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT
Telephones system at medical practice or contractor office. Computer hardware/software for access to patient history and medical information databases. Office setting, well lighted, good air quality. Rare direct contact with patients. Mostly sedentary position. Hand/arm injury possible from repetitive movements. Stress generated if high volume of calls and emergencies.
This job description is not a guarantee of employment. It is understood that employment is “at will,” and the employer or the employee may terminate employment at any time.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job duties satisfactorily (with or without accommodation). Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $28.25 per hour
- Continuing education credits
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
Supplemental pay types:
- Overtime pay
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
Work Location: In person